Make sure there's not too much heat in the bedroom this Valentines Day!
Valentine's Day is once again upon us, and it is important on this lover's holiday that we remember fire safety. 36% of all house fires start in the bedroom. That's over a third of all house fires, and many of the fires that begin in the bedroom are not caused directly by romance, they are caused by candles.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, there are 15,260 candle fires per year, that is an average of 42 per day. The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) reports that candles caused a staggering $438 million in direct property damage from 2006-2010 alone, and you thought those chocolates and a dozen roses were expensive.
Let's face it, there are a lot of flammable items in your bedroom, such as window treatments, bedding, clothing, and carpeting. Many times people aren't exactly paying attention to their surroundings or forget to extinguish candles. After all, there's other stuff to do in the bedroom... like sleeping...
Since we here, at SERVPRO of Alachua County West are in love with our Customers and Community, our Valentine's Day card to you are these helpful tips for candle safety for your bedroom.
- Never burn candles in unoccupied rooms. It doesn’t take long for a fire to start and get out of control, after all, it is the bedroom.
- Keep flammable solvents away from candles. That sounds really technical, so let’s put it this way: A woman in the U.K. was killed by a fire in the bedroom. At first foul play was suspected, until firefighters found a canister of automatic spray air fresheners near candles on the bedside of her boudoir. The air freshener spit out a spray automatically into the lit candles and her bedroom went up in flames.
- Pets and candles don’t mix. They can knock over lit candles while playing or jumping up on furniture or if they are startled. Just keep Fido and Miss Kitty out of the bedroom when using candles, after all, who needs an audience.
- Use proper candleholders. The holder should be flame-resistant and large enough to contain drips. Although the melted wax from candles may have other uses in the bedroom, it is fuel for the flame of the candle. Make sure that you keep your melted wax in check.
- Keep away from drafts. Pay attention to drafts caused by open windows, ceiling or table fans, and even from other candles. I know that amazing view of the ocean and sounds of the crashing waves is super romantic, but drafts can cause candles to flare up or burn unevenly.
- Use a candle snuffer. The only time you should blow candles out is on your birthday – and not in your birthday suit! A candle snuffer can protect your linens and you from unwanted wax splatters.
So remember, as much as SERVPRO of Alachua County West would love to be your Valentine this year, practice candle safety with your sweetheart... and if disaster does happen... call (352) 374-6589 because we are "Faster to any size disaster."