What Should You Do After a Fire?
Finding the right company to help you after a fire is crucial. At SERVPRO, restoring your home after fire damage to its pre-fire condition is our main goal. We specialize in fire and water damage restoration, removal of smoke odors, and deep-cleaning soot from walls, carpets and upholstery.
Even if a fire is contained in one area, smoke and soot can travel everywhere. Our professionals are highly trained, with the experience, tools and knowledge to clean up fire and smoke damage. In keeping with our goal to restore your home and cherished possessions to their pre-fire condition, we use appropriate personal protective measures to safely clean, deodorize and restore your property.
Here are some tips to help you if have endured a fire.
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
In the case of a fire, we are here to help and available 24/7. Give us a call at (352) 374-6589.