If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (352) 374-6589

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Spooky Season is Upon Us, Do Your Due Diligence to Stay Safe

10/27/2021 (Permalink)

Halloween is this Sunday and a fun and spookytime. Be sure to follow fire safety tips to ensure your little trick-or-treaters stay safe this year.

For costumes for our littles, be sure to choose one does not have long, trailing fabric. We do not want them to trip or get it caught on something. Also, if your child is wearing a mask, make sure the holes are large enough for them to see out. A good idea is to also give children flashlights or carry glow sticks to ensure they can see and be seen.

When decorating this Halloween, remember that dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper catch fire very easily. Ensure these type of decorations and any type are kept away from open flames and other heat sources like light bulbs and heaters.

And instead of using lit candles for your jack-o-lanterns, use battery-operated candles instead. If you choose to use a candle, make sure you are aware of its surrounding and use caution.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, decorations are the first thing to ignite in roughly 800 reported home fires each year. More than one-third of these fires were started by a candle.

When lighting candles inside jack-o-lanterns, use long, fireplace-style matches or a utility lighter. Be sure to place lit pumpkins well away from anything that can burn and far enough out of the way of trick-or-treaters, doorsteps, walkways and yards.

If you choose to have candles, make sure to tell children to stay away from the open flames. Teach them how to stop, drop and roll in case they do catch on fire.

Remember to also keep all exits clear. Do not block your escape routes.

As always, make sure all smoke alarms in your home are working. Make sure all smoke alarms in the home are working.

In the unfortunate event that you do have a fire at your home, remember, SERVPRO is here to help. SERVPRO of Gainesville West/Alachua County West specialized in fire damage restoration and are available 24/7. Give us a call at (352) 374-6589.

Other News

View Recent Posts