Mold Facts and Why SERVPRO is Your Best Option
You have most likely heard about mold damage in homes, or even noticed signs of fungal growth in your own home. It is a fact that at some point most householders find themselves facing a dark green or black patch of growth which they need to remediate.
We are all familiar with the unpleasant musty smell of mold. SERVPRO of Gainesville West/Alachua County West is your local remediation expert and we are also passionate about providing education to homeowners.
Here are 5 facts we think you should know.
- Mold is already in your home whether you can see it or not. Many people do not realize that mold is everywhere. The fungus is a naturally occurring organism throughout nature. Because the spores are impossible to see with the naked eye, you do not always see mold’s presence, but it is there.
- Moisture is the leading cause of fungal problems in the home. Mold requires water to grow, which is why it is common in basements, bathrooms, water heater areas, and laundry rooms. SERVPRO remediation experts have moisture probes and meters on hand to measure the dampness and pinpoint potential underlying problems.
- Bleach does not kill mold. It is a popular myth that bleach is the best way to kill the fungus. However, bleach should not be your go-to remedy. The moisture content of bleach can make growth worse, and bleach only clears away the surface evidence but does not treat the underlying problem.
- Mold can be useful. It was mold which helped Alexander Fleming develop Penicillin, which is one of the most trusted and commonly used antibiotics on the market today. There is even some evidence that ancient cultures such as the Egyptians used mold as a health remedy. Of course, even though mold can be useful, you do not want colonies growing in your home and that is why it is essential to call SERVPRO of Gainesville West/Alachua County West at the first sign of mold outbreak.
- Dehumidification and proper ventilation are the best way to prevent mold. Investing in a dehumidifier and keeping the humidity in your home below 60 percent, if possible. We also suggest keeping your home well ventilated.
And if you encounter a potential mold scenario, feel free to contact SERVPRO of Gainesville West/Alachua County West today and we can give you the step-by-step process on what needs to take place at 352-374-6589.