Necessary Tips on Fire Damage
When fire damage occurs, property owners are usually caught off guard by the challenges that arise while ensuring the future safety and restoration of their property. Fires are not only deadly, they can also create devastating property loss. Home and business owners must familiarize themselves with as much information as possible before a catastrophic fire occurs.
Also remembering, while flames can cause the most visible damage to a property during a fire, smoke and soot are silent and sometimes invisible hazards that could cost lives. Smoke inhalation is the leading cause of death amongst victims of a fire. Smoke damage must never be overlooked when evaluating the damage caused by fire.
What to do after a fire?
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
SERVPRO Franchise professionals have worked for over 40 years to help make fire damage “Like it never even happened.”